Thursday, January 8, 2015

Time to come home


So our time in China is drawing to a close.  This trip is full of wonderful memories just like every other adoption trip.  Patrick Yun Qi (pronounced Chi) or as we have named him “Yun Cheetoh” has really started loving us despite our different food and language.  He passes out kisses regularly puckering up any chance he gets.  Janie has learned to barter like her mother.  With a face like hers who wouldn’t give her the price she wants!!  Lauren and I discuss how confident she is in this country.  It’s amazing how international travel brings out her bravery.  And Maggie got her hair cut here at a local salon.  It looked great when she got back.  I guess China brings out her confidence as well.  It’s funny how we don’t let the language or cultural differences stop us from enjoying ourselves shopping, eating, or playing at a park.  I almost jumped into a game of badminton today.  Too bad I didn’t bring my knee brace!! I thought at least I would have a fighting chance unlike ping pong!!! Talk about serious table tennis!!

Despite all of the fun we had the real reason we came to China was to welcome a precious child into our family.  Patrick Shepherd Ayres officially became our child on December 26, 2014 and will become a US citizen on January 10, 2015 the moment the wheels of our plane touch down in Atlanta.  Lauren and I could not have received a better Christmas present.  I can’t wait until he is old enough to understand how our entire family worked together to bring him home, and how God orchestrated every moment.  We are anxious about his future, but we know God has that orchestrated already too.  God has prepared every doctor, nurse, scrub tech, pharmacist, support worker, and janitor so that Patrick will be taken care of exactly as He has planned.  I don’t know even what city we will be in, but God does.  Isn’t that completely and totally overwhelming?  3 years ago God knew that a child would be born with huge medical needs, that this child’s family would abandon him 7 months into life, that he would be cared for by an amazing group of doctors in China, and that he would eventually be called “son” by two people living half way around the world.  The same two people who 2 ½ years ago said we aren’t even talking about adopting a heart baby.  Yep.  You guessed it.  God had a different plan.  I’m thrilled and overwhelmed to be part of it. 

So how are you going to let God change your plan?  I often hear people say, “Adoption isn’t for everyone.” My question, “Why not?”   If finances are in question we can show you plenty of grants that are available to assist with adoption expenses.  Maybe God is calling you to reallocate money that you already have, but are using in a different way.  Maybe He is calling you to change your lifestyle.  Maybe He is calling you to step out in faith so that He can prove to you that He won’t call you to do something without providing the means.  I can’t tell you how many fellow adoptive families have told me that they didn’t know where money for the next fee was going to come from, but it always came. If “God’s guidance or calling” is in question spend a little time in his word.  Look at James 1:27.  What better way to look after an orphan than to offer them your heart and your home?  Look at Psalm 82 and Isaiah 1.  How better to defend the fatherless than to offer them a home and a future.  Read John 14:18.  Jesus tells us that He will not leave us as orphans.  Isn’t our goal to be more like Jesus?  Jesus adopted us into His holy family.  What better way to be like Jesus, than to adopt one who He considers precious and worthy into your family.  I’ve said this before and I’ll probably say it again, but I have never felt so close to God as when I am walking with Him through adoption. It has changed my outlook on pretty much everything.  It has drawn me into a real relationship with Him.  So not only did a child get ‘”rescued” from life as an orphan, but I also got rescued from a life of lukewarm religion.  There are millions of orphans worldwide who need a loving home.  There are also millions of people who long for a closer relationship with the Father.  Maybe adoption is the tie that binds these together for you.  Maybe…
 

 







 

 







 

 

 
 



 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment