Friday, January 4, 2013

Coming home

Our almost three weeks in China are drawing to a close, on one hand it seems like it has flown by. On the other I feel like I've been here an eternity.  From home I miss holding my biological children and singing with them before bed. Believe it or not I miss my work, I miss my bed, I miss running and the peace that it brings to my brain, I miss my church, being able to drink from the sink, being able to jump in the car and get to anything I need in 10 minutes. I miss being able to send a text to anyone to ask a question or offer encouragement.   I miss coffee with Lauren after getting the kids to bed every night.  There are so many things that I miss about the US, but honestly I will miss things about China as well. China is the birthplace of my two newest children.  It is the only country that they have ever known. Davidson won't remember it, but Ming Yu has spent almost 14 years here.  She loves her country, and she is sad to leave it.  It makes me miss it with her. I will also miss the families who we have met here while they were adopting children. Adoption brings children into families, but it also brings families together. I am so thankful that on our trip we met Robert and Pam Frederickson and their two precious newly adopted daughters.  We spent multiple meals and shopping trips together, but most of all we laughed and talked and enjoyed getting to know each other. Right now, we are hotel neighbors and it is easy to get together. When we return to the US we will be in Alabama, while they will return to Maryland. Through emails and Facebook we can keep in contact, but that is nothing like sitting around the table watching our daughters eat Chicken Feet or some other Chinese "delicacy." I will miss getting to spend every part of the day with my children. When I get back home, work will resume and all of the business that goes along with managing a family of 8 will too. I'm thankful for the time that Lauren and I have gotten to spend together with our newest family members. I am also very excited to bring them home to reunite us all together as one big, happy family.

Tomorrow we will begin our 24 hours of airports and airplanes. We've never travelled on an airplane with a baby, especially for that length of time. Please pray that he is calm during the trip. Pray that God will also calm Ming Yu's fears of leaving her country to start a new life in the US. We've never been a family of 8, so pray that God will give everyone patience as we learn how to all get along. We land in Birmingham at 10pm Saturday night. I know it's a crazy time, but we would love to have our kids welcomed by anyone able to come.   We are excited to introduce our new son and daughter to everyone who has supported us through our adoption journey.  And for those of you coming, I'll take a Diet Dr. Pepper and Lauren a Diet Coke!!!! (with ice)

3 comments:

  1. I wish we could be there to welcome you and your "new" family home!!! Thank you for sharing this journey, would love to meet the new family members next time we are home! Praying for smooth flights and a smooth transition into a family of 8!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see you guys and catch up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jason,
    It was our pleasure to get to know you, Lauren and your two new children. We look forward to the time when we can meet the rest of your children. Remember, you have an open invitation to visit DC at any time!
    We'll be praying for your travel home, for Davidson to have a great flight and for Ming Yu to feel your love for her and for your family as you learn to be a family of 8. Enjoy your sodas with ice!!
    Robert & Pam

    ReplyDelete