Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Merry Christmas

While Christmas Day is still going strong in the US, it is the morning after Christmas here in China. I don't expect many after Christmas sales and we definitely won't spend the day returning gifts that don't work or don't fit. I do look forward to a little exploration as we have a free day here. We completed Davidson's adoption yesterday. Now both kids are legally ours.  We will stay here in Zhengzhou until Friday night so that we can receive Davidson's passport. We will then travel to Guangzhou to complete the US side of the adoption.

Christmas Day was tiring as we had to travel back to Luoyang to apply for Davidson's passport. That was basically 5-6 hours in the car with a small break in the middle at the passport office. In China there are no car seats so Davidson stayed in his Mama's lap the entire trip. Yes in one day he has become Mama's boy.  He will not let her leave his sight.  We are thankful that he is bonding to her so quickly. We have even had several people tell Lauren that he looks like her.  I'll admit, I am a little jealous that he doesn't care for me too much yet but all of this will come in its own time. He was perfect in the car. I'm fairly certain that given the same opportunity my biological children would have ended up tied to the seat to preserve everyone's sanity. He is easy going and likes to play with his toys.  He is a little bit of a ham and like to entertain everyone around with funny facial expressions.  We think his roommates at Maria's Big House of Hope have taught him a few tricks since we left here in September. We couldn't be more thrilled that Davidson is back in our arms. Don't expect him to be put down any time soon.

Ming Yu had her best day yet. She slept in the car most of the trip. When we returned she got a call on Skype from her Ayi at the orphanage in Yantai.  She was animated and smiled and laughed continuously through the conversation. I was afraid that she would be upset when the conversation ended but she was upbeat the rest of the night. I tried all day to download some of her favorite Chinese songs to her iPad with no success. While we were in the car a song came on the radio that I knew and I heard her singing. I asked if she wanted it on her iPad and she said yes. When we returned she got her first song for her iPad, Gangnam style.  Ironic that a Korean song loved all over the world helps bring together an American father and Chinese child.  She will listen to songs from my iPad and seems to keep returning to My Savior My God by Aaron Shust. I know that she doesn't understand the words or the meaning, but I pray that soon she will.

Despite the fact that our Chrstmas wasn't traditional in any sense of the word, we are thankful to be where we are.  We  miss our  family at home, but we know that they are being taken care of. We are also thankful that we have a Savior who was born to die for us, our family, and anyone who will accept Him. We are thankful that He adopted us into His family so that Lauren and I could adopt these two children into ours. I pray that everyone back in the US has a Merry Christmas, and between the meals and the presents remember to thank God for the blessings he has given us all, most importantly his Son.

4 comments:

  1. That is so awesome ! I am so glad Davidson LOVES his Mommy and very soon you too ! I say this every time I post but I am so very excited for you all and it makes it very special for me because I have met you all and see God at work firsthand not something someone tells me but I KNOW that I Know the love and hand of God in this work of God !Merry Christmas !

    ReplyDelete
  2. You continue to amaze me with the depths you and Lauren have been to with God in this journey. It has been so obvious from the beginning that this was orchestrated by our God Himself & you two have been willing for God to use you as He saw fit, but some people would not have trusted Him enough to leave home at Christmas time to get two children. Some would think that to be too much of a sacrifice, but neither of you even thought about questioning any of this because you go deep enough with God to know it was His will & He would work it all out. Praise be to our God, He is faithful & true! I'm so happy that you two were open to His will & chose to follow God! I love you both & can't wait for all your paperwork is done & we get to see & meet Davidson & Ming Yu!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a truly blessed Christmas for you all. So glad that Davidson is Momma's boy...I know that this brings great joy to Lauren's heart. Love reading the updates and hearing that Ming Yu is transitioning into her new life and each day gets better and better. The power of music is an amazing thing...I know that she will soon understand the words of My Savior My God and that it will continue to be one of her favorites.

    Praying that the remainder of your trip goes quickly and smoothly and that you all will be home with the rest of your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading this update and seeing the baby steps Ming Yu is making! We are praying for you guys and glad you're down the home stretch...and soon will get to eat Mexican food! The KFC, McDonalds & Pizza Hut wasn't bad either...different than America but not bad. :-) Blessings on the remainder of your trip in GZ (where there is also a Starbucks behind the Garden Hotel)!!

    ReplyDelete