Saturday, December 29, 2012

My Daughter Eats Chicken Feet

Today was our first full day in Guangzhou. We arrived here late last night and finally got to bed after getting unpacked and organized. This morning we had to go to the international adoption clinic for our children to have physicals. Ming Yu also had to have a TB skin test and 3 immunizations. Her arms are sore, and I don't think she was ready for all of the needles, but overall both kids did really well. No unforeseen problems were uncovered in either child. We did make her feel a little better by buying her ice cream after her shots. I guess you are never too old for a treat after a visit to the doctor.

The rest of the afternoon was spent exploring the hotel, buying a few groceries, and trying to get a little rest.  There is another couple in our hotel who has adopted two girls, 11 and 8.  Our families had dinner together and had a great time.  The three girls talked to each other in Chinese while the grown ups spoke English. Davidson slept on his Mommy most of the meal. When the two other girls looked at the menu they immediately ordered chicken feet.  As we were eating family style I knew that Ming Yu would have the opportunity to share the chicken feet if she wanted. I'll be honest, I was hoping that she would skip the feet for some fried rice or dumplings. She did not. She ate several chicken feet and seemed to enjoy them. We have told her that when we get home we will find places to eat food similar to here in China. I'm not sure I'll be able to fulfill that promise when it comes to chicken feet. In Alabama chicken fingers are readily available. I'm not sure chicken feet are on any menu in Gadsden. I think Lauren and I have been pretty adventurous with food on our two trips to China, but I have to draw the line somewhere. I draw that line at chicken feet.  However, because we want our daughter to feel comfortable in the US, if anyone has a recipe for chicken feet please forward it to me.  Better yet, make them at your house and I'll send Ming Yu over for dinner.

7 comments:

  1. Wow my stomach did a back flip on that one !! LOL So glad you all are doing good !! Tell Lauren Hi for me you both are my "Heros" !! As I visited my 4 Chinese girls today that I nanny for the summer I was blown away with a thought ,I had had this thought before but to see this happen right before my very eyes was just humbeling. The almost 10 year old who has been inUSA for two years now gave her life to the Lord sometime this Fall Her Mother and Father gave her a "Real" Bible for Christmas before she had had a "Story Bible.She sat on ther couch and read that Bible to me and the devotional for today and explained to me what it meant.If not for the "Miracle" of Adoption this probably could NEVER have happened.All 4 of these girls know Jesus and His Love !! Thank you Jason and Lauren you are an Awesome family of God !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad things continue to go well for you two! Again, I can't wait to meet these two new additions to your family. Lauren, I know I promised food when you come home, but as much as I love you & Jason, it will not be chicken feet! We will have to introduce Ming Yu to noodles in a casserole or green beans & "purple stuff" as the others called it! :) By the way, I'm going to have another grandbaby in July!! I knew you would want to know! The time is getting shorter until we see you again & meet the kids! I can't wait! Love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I was just introduced to y'all by Pam and Robert! Hope you don't mind if I follow along your blog. Was your daughter at Zhengzhou City SWI? We are waiting to travel for our two boys in Zhengzhou. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jason, I also found chicken feet revolting, however all of the children in our travel group loved them. Another item that Mia loved was congee, and I couldn't master it here at home, so she settled for grits, oatmeal, etc. Ming Yu will probably like chicken fingers; haven't met a kid yet that didn't like 'em. Glad the medical exams went well. Getting closer to home!!!
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  5. You all ARE adventurous! You are also awesome parents. I can't wait to see pictures of you reuniting with all your children, I'm sure you are ready to be home, too! God is being honored in everything you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are some fabulous restaurants in Atlanta who serve Dim Sum and yes, some of them have chicken feet! You can find just about everything at the Chinese market and we try to go whenever we are in Atlanta :) My favorite Chinese cookbook - Favorite Recipes of the August Chinese Community - might have a recipe for you. I will look and let you know :) - Kristin

    ReplyDelete